An arrest warrant was issued Wednesday for a Chinatown man on trial for hacking his teenage son with a meat cleaver during a domestic spat last year.
Sheng Zheng, 42, was nowhere to be found Wednesday morning as jurors arrived to hear summations in his assault case in Manhattan.
The proceeding was put on hold as efforts were made to track Zheng down. His attorney and a Chinese-language court interpreter tried to contact him without success.
Zheng had been ordered to show up in court before Justice Jill Konviser at 9:30 a.m. Monday at the conclusion of a conference in his case.
“The defendant is not here,” Konviser said at 10:48 a.m. Tuesday. “I’m issuing a warrant for his arrest.”
Zheng’s attorney Robert Brown said he has not heard from his client and that efforts were made to find him.
ACCUSED MEAT CLEAVER DAD CLAIMS SELF-DEFENSE
Hospitals and other facilities were also being checked.
“He hasn’t called, he hasn’t contacted any of us,” Brown said. “The judge is going to order a hearing to determine whether or not we should finish the trial without him.”
Zheng allegedly inflicted large gashes on his 16-year-old son's head and severed part of the young victim's ear with the sharp kitchen blade on Jan. 6, 2015, inside the family’s Market St. home.
His son’s injuries, while bloody and disturbing, were essentially superficial.
Zheng claims he went after his son, Daming, in self-defense because the boy was beating him up and getting the best of him.
Daming, who testified last week, admitted he hit his dad but said he was doing it to protect his mother during a fight the couple was having over money.
Prosecutors say the father's reaction was totally unreasonable.